Saturday, November 13, 2010

Keeping House

When I was very tiny my Mom used to say that keeping house kept her busy all day long and I used to think, "Where is she keeping it?". Guess I was a literal kid.
Now, I spend a lot of time, keeping house. Keeping it clean. Keeping it tidy. Keeping it organized. Hmmmm, why? Part of it is that I can't stand to be disorganized. If things are out of place it is as though they are looking at me saying, "put me away" . Plus, if I put it away where it belongs, there is a good chance I'll be able to find it the next time I look for it.
Now, picking up after my other half is another story, totally. He's a slob. I can finally admit it. He's a slob and his slobby ways drive me nuts! Why is it so difficult to put the bread back in the breadbox, the butter back in the butter bell and the trash in the trash can. I thought if I left it where he did that sooner or later he'd notice and pick up after himself. Pipe dream! He not only doesn't seem to notice, if by some weird chance he does, he just walks past it. Who does he think puts all the stuff away? There are only two of us in the house, three if we count the little dog but quite frankly I'm pretty sure he doesn't think the dog picks up after him. Guess he just doesn't care. At times he even seems amused to see me picking up and cleaning. Maybe I should go on strike....nah, probably wouldn't bother him in the least and I'd go nuts! I'd have a huge mess to clean up in the end and not have gained anything. Think I'll need a glass of wine before dinner tonight.
Holidays are coming and I'm getting more depressed with every day. Last year neither of the kids could come and it doesn't look like they can this year either. My husband shows no inclination of offering to take me back home so we can celebrate with the kids even though last year he knew I was miserable. He doesn't particularly like Christmas so my celebrations have always been focused around the girls and now the grandsons. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to leave him and quite frankly I'm not sure I'm capable of making the 800 mile drive alone but I don't want another Christmas like last year.
Maybe Santa will bring me a case of wine and I won't care. Well, a girl can hope, can't she? I guess it will work out as it should. I just wish I knew what that was. Hope everyone else is having a wonderful time with the approaching holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment